What is Coaching
International Coach Federation (ICF) defines Professional Coaching as: “An ongoing partnership designed to help clients produce fulfilling results in their personal and professional lives”. A coach helps in bringing objectivity and wider perspective in clients' professional and personal lives. This helps leaders gain insight into their own thinking and then generate new and more positive thinking. Under the right circumstances, one-on-one interaction with a trained and experienced coach can provide a focus that other forms of organizational support simply cannot.
Executive Coaching is widely used by major international organizations in supporting top performers. Companies today make coaching a core part of leadership development. A recent US survey revealed that 86 percent of companies said they used coaching to sharpen the skills of individuals identified as future organizational leaders. Coaching has evolved into the mainstream fast, as it develops leaders in the context of their current jobs, without removing them from their day-to-day responsibilities.
International Business Leaders' Thoughts on Coaching
"I absolutely believe that people, unless coached, never reach their maximum capabilities. "Bob Nardelli, former CEO, Home Depot. ”I never cease to be amazed at the power of the coaching process to draw out the skills or talent that was previously hidden within an individual, and which invariably finds a way to solve a problem previously thought unsolvable." John Russell, Managing Director, Harley-Davidson Europe Ltd. "Who exactly seeks out a coach? Winners, who want more out of life." (Chicago Tribune) "In a recent study, training alone improved leadership skills by 22%. When combined with Executive Coaching, improvement jumped to 77%." (Fortune)
Benefits of Coaching
A coaching relationship offers multifarious benefits to leaders including:
- Help clarify purpose, values and underlying beliefs; and align behaviors accordingly.
- Support in managing and adapting to change and overcoming leadership skill gaps.
- Motivation to advance up the corporate ladder by creating a laser focus on priories.
- Learn to communicate clearly with peers, subordinates, bosses, clients and customers.
- Guidance in balancing work, family and personal me and excel in all areas.
- Develop insight in increasing their value to the employers and eliminating any roadblocks stopping them from advancing and enjoying a fulfilling career.
How does Coaching Work?
One-on-One Coaching is a highly structured process that helps leaders develop while fully engaged in their jobs. The Executive Development methodology adopted is based on actions learning – the Executives develop ambiguous goals around their areas of interest or concern, and devise strategies and action required to achieve those goals. Weekly coaching sessions help consolidate the learning and insights gained during the coaching process, and also serve to review progress on selected goals, strategies, and actions. On-going focus in these sessions is on helping leaders improve their thinking, develop new insights, and address liming underlying beliefs. Executive Coaching is offered under one of three formats to suit client needs:
- Dilemma Coaching (Three sessions of one hour duration each) A senior leader, faced with a dilemma or a difficult decision, can benefit from support of a trustworthy, independent third party. A qualified and experienced coach can be of tremendous value in this situation
- Coaching for Skill Acquisition (Six sessions of one hour duration each) A 360 degree feedback or another assessment program may indicate need of skill development in some key areas. Our Executive Coach can help your Executive put the whole exercise in perspective, work with him to identify major improvement areas, support the Executive in identifying available resources to address skills gaps, and monitor progress.
- Development Coaching (Twelve sessions of one hour duration each) One-on-One Executive Coaching can help Senior Leaders, who are in line for heading key corporate functions or strategic business units. This help takes the form of generating motivation and desire for advancement and supporting them all the way from gap identification, deployment of development resources, and periodical assessment of progress.
Coaching services offered by Possibilities are as under:
- A series of three, six or twelve coaching sessions, depending upon client need. These sessions may be conducted face to face, or via Skype or telephone, as mutually agreed.
- Provision of coaching folder
- Pre-session preparation and post-session follow up
- Availability to client for queries or other help during the coaching series
- Provision of reading materials or other information sources during the coaching series
As a Senior Leader in Business, Government, NGO or International Agency:
- You recently assumed a leadership position and wish to succeed beyond everyone's expectations.
- Your organization arranged a 360-degree feedback, completed by your boss, peers and direct reports. You need an objective and trusted friend to put the whole exercise in perspective and help you focus on areas of improvement.
- You have been placed in the leadership pipeline, to be groomed for higher-level positions. Training and rotation have helped. To take your learning to the next level, you need to bounce your ideas off someone who has theme and patience to listen and to give objective feedback.
- You are already in a senior leadership position and are in line for leading an SBU, or a key corporate function. The top management is wondering if you are ready – and is contemplating executive coaching for you to strengthen and groom you for top leadership positions.
- You have an enviable track record of success and wonder how to maintain the upward thrust.
Contact us | Partnerships & Alliances | Careers | Blog